There are a variety of treatments available that can help you manage the symptoms of COPD on a daily basis¹. These COPD therapy options include, but are not limited to, medication, medicine delivery systems and supplemental oxygen².
Medicines for the management of COPD help your breathing in many ways. Some are maintenance medicines and need to be taken every day. Others are taken when your symptoms worsen. However, all medicines work to³:
- Reduce the narrowing of the bronchial airways and relieve the air trapped in the lungs
- Reduce the swelling and irritation in the lung
- Reduce the amount of mucus that the lungs produce, which in turn reduces the frequency of coughing and the mucus-inducing irritation that follows
- Remove mucus from the lungs
- Help fight infections and prevent or treat exacerbations